Jul 4, 2011

Where am I going with this

An image is a curious thing.  It's also something that is supposedly inescapable, though I've tried.  I guess it's not something everyone thinks about a lot.  The "if I do this, what will my image be?" syndrom strikes some and not others.  I would say I have a slightly mild case of it, but that's besides the point.
What I want to know is if someone's image is who they actually are?  Acting different around people than you do one your own is pretty much second nature to most people I believe.  However, just because we act different with folks doesn't necessarily mean that that's not who we are.
What I mean is that one's "image" is probably more of an act than most people realize.  When we do things to be who we like to be in front of people, we take that upon ourselves and it becomes who we are slowly (in most cases).
I'll use myself as an example, because arguably I know me better than anyone else... maybe.
So for a good portion of high school I was in the "finding myself" stage that a lot of insecure folks like myself go through.  It carried slightly on to college, but with the addition of two new friends (Daniel and Aaron, you'll probably hear more about them) I've sorta gotten better about figuring out things that I like.

And it's all the things I said I liked so I could look indie in High school...

By just showing myself as the indie/nerdy guy (cuz I sure couldn't pull of jock or prep) I've really begun to enjoy indie/nerdy things and I guess I could accurately say that that's not only my image, but who I really am.
Don't get me wrong, I'll still march to the beat of my own drummer instead of bending to my supposed image, but I sure have taken to it.
This post made more sense in my mind than in writing.


And for some reason, after multiple months, I thought of Trocker for no reason except to miss her.  Weird weird weird weird odd dumb weird weird.... grr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away!