Jan 6, 2011

Trust

        I've discovered a rather shocking fact about  what doing something in a guise of  game can reveal about someone.  It shows how willing people are to trust or back-stab another.  One of the most revealing games (in my opinion) is Risk.  First of all, it shows how people like to get into control of their situations.  People who think they can Juggernaut their way to victory will usually take Africa.  People who go for south America will probably want to hold out a little fortress on it's two fronts and advance slowly.  Europe is for the strategist who hopes to expand quickly, but needs to hold of Africa.  Asia is usually a unit dump, no one in their right mind thinks they can hold Asia right off the bat.  Some people don't go for a single continent, but rather just try to prevent other players from completing their own.  They prefer disruption of power.  Lastly (yes I know I forgot North America, I don't know what that one means) is Australia, for people who want to lie low until opportunity presents itself.
       Once gameplay starts, personalities start to form.  Some people believe in alliances and trust, and will try to form them for protection or assistance in attacking a bigger player.  Others will try to form alliances between other players to keep two or more nations of their own back.  But the most interesting development is when people form an alliance to open a weakness in another player.
        Of course, there's more to it than that, but I'll just skip to what I found interesting in my own choice. 

I started with Australia, and had to fight out two other nations to keep it for myself, I focused all my efforts to oust them and was left weakened.  This is actually an advantage to me.  With this slight weakness, I was out of the spotlight.  I could now safely stay out of the viewsite (the one entrypoint to Australia was my only defended place) and slightly recommend who the other, stronger, players should target (though I never directly told them, that would backfire).  Soon I had enough power and then things turned ugly.  Cutting through asia, I promised the European that I would give him three turns to crush Africa.  Then I attacked him in two, when he had wasted his forces... in the end, I held Asia and won the game.

           So there you have it.  I used deceipt, treachery, and manipulating to get the result I wanted.  Why does that disturb me.
In real life, I consider myself a more trustworthy and less sketchy person, don't worry.

But sometimes games can show how some minds can bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away!