Nov 22, 2010

Another episode of school blogging

Slacking off?  Hardly, I just have free time is all.   A LOT of free time when it comes to my broadcasting class, which I admittedly took because I already pretty much knew all about it... and my friend Spo is in it, who is also in a few of my older video projects (you will not be seeing them on this blog, because they were early attempts and suck...) so I use the time in that class to finish my project (10 minutes of my time) finish Spo's project (5 minutes, I still want to win) and then pretty much look stuff up on youtube or play with the recording equipment (which no one else in my class knows how to use, they kinda took it as a slack class as well it seems).
     
       So, I talked earlier about Esperanto, and I think I'll actually elaborate on it, because believe it or not, I actually motivated myself to start learning the stuff!  So I guess I'd best actually explain what Esperanto is...
Esperanto is a language, invented by a Russian physician in the 1800's, who was also Jewish I believe, and saw that the language barrier was causing all sorts prejudice, hatred, holocaust, yadda yadda yadda (Hitler didn't like Esperantists) and so he made Esperanto (which means "hope" in the language Esperanto)
He made this language to be the perfect 2nd language for everyone, so we could all communicate without paying millions for translators, yippee.
A few quirks that I love about Esperanto:
-Supposedly the easiest language to learn
-NO, I repeat, NO silly exceptions to rules in grammar or spelling, like in most english.  If it has letters, they all make sounds (the alphabet is mostly latin, but has a few added letters)
-Sounds vaguely spanish, or italian.
-is spoken by a few million people all over the world, there are even "native" speakers (their parents taught them)

I personally believe that Esperanto would be great if everyone knew it, worth a shot eh?
"but M.B.easy, think about how many countries who have learned English as the second language would have to rewrite so many things?"
Can ya blame me for suggesting more job opportunities in the linguistic department?
Do I think I'll ever see an Esperanto overhaul in my life?  No, probably not, but I can still support it right?

SO!  If you want to join me on my little escapade here and chat me up in this language (which I still don't too much of, but I'm getting there) there's a free online course!  It's at en.lernu.net if you're interested

gis revido! (see ya later)

2 comments:

  1. Esperanto works! I've used it in speech and writing in about fifteen countries over recent years.

    Indeed, the language has some remarkable practical benefits. Personally, I've made friends around the world through Esperanto that I would never have been able to communicate with otherwise. And then there's the Pasporta Servo, which provides free lodging and local information to Esperanto-speaking travellers in over 90 countries. Over recent years I have had guided tours of Berlin, Douala and Milan in this planned language. I have discussed philosophy with a Slovene poet, humour on television with a Bulgarian TV producer. I've discussed what life was like in East Berlin before the wall came down, how to cook perfect spaghetti, the advantages and disadvantages of monarchy, and so on. I recommend it, not just as an ideal but as a very practical way to overcome language barriers.

    Jes, mi sufiĉe ofte uzas la klingvon. Antaŭ du jaroj mi estis en Obernai apud Strasburgo, kaj mi vizitis familion tie kie la infanoj estas dulingvaj, parolante Esperanton kaj la francan.

    Bonan lernadon! Enjoy learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Bill, I admit I only caught the gist of your last paragraph there, but I guess the gist means I'm getting something at least. I had no idea Esperanto had all those benefits, in truth I picked it up as whim not actually knowing how far-flung it already was. I enjoyed hearing more about it, and am still working at it.
    Dankon!

    ReplyDelete

Fire away!