Aug 16, 2010

C'mon guys

Well, all the new anxieties are coming up for this soon to be school year... senior year...
COLLEGEAPPLICATIONSGIRLSCLASSESGRADESPICTURES... yeah

and yet.... I'm sort of looking forward to school for some odd reason... 
Probably the whole camaraderie, opportunities yadda yadda yadda
Frankly what I really can't stand to hear is "school is stupid" "Learning is dumb" or "school's a prison"... stuff like that.
MAYBE I'm being a little preachy here, but we have it good!  Virtually free schooling up through high school, with the technology and know-how to really learn some stuff, and I'm FINALLY beginning to enjoy learning a little, even just so I can use the info as an ice breaker ("hey there!  Did you know that storms are divided different cell groups with supercell being the strongest and most deadly?!?!  Who woulda thought") Alright, I need work, but what I'm saying is that an empty head leaves lots of room for stupidity.  I don't want to be stupid!
How is school stupid?!  Where else will you get the chance to play expensive instruments, cut open a shark, learn how to use every art form ever, use a TV studio (exclusive possibly to my school)... what I'm saying is that after high school all of that stuff will probably get REALLY EXPENSIVE unless you make it your career, in which case everything else gets costy and no teacher will teach you for free.
(not that all teachers at the school are competent, but there are enough that are to make it worth it)
The fact is that school opens opportunities (even ones that aren't technically in the curriculum, I've got a streak of mischief >:)  )
also, saying learning is dumb, if taken seriously, will cause one to be unlearned... which is in fact another word for DUMB... irony much?
And school being a prison... wellllll ok, I will admit there are some similarities in a FEW things:
-If you don't go, you're breaking the law (except seniors)
-You are assigned a number (class ID)
-throughout the day you are required to go to different rooms and fill out required slips etc.

Alright I will confess that some of that can grind me down and that summer vacation is well placed, along with other vacations.  I'm not trying to come across as some nerd here (though frankly I am a bit of one) who worships school, outside activities, parties and such are totally part of the survival method.
But I do not hate school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away!